Subject: 24.3.50; nadvice.el: named advices not upgradable
From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 01:42:14 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Stefan,

if you have some code adding advices that can be identified (i.e.,
adding named advices or fbound symbols, not anonymous functions),
and you change this code defining the advice and re-evaluate, the change
doesn't take effect (in contrast to the behavior of advice.el).

We currently use this:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(defun advice--add-function (where ref function props)
  (unless (advice--member-p function (cdr (assq 'name props))
                            (gv-deref ref))
    (setf (gv-deref ref)
          (advice--make where function (gv-deref ref) props))))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

but as a user, I would suspect something like

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(defun advice--add-function (where ref function props)
  (when (advice--member-p function (cdr (assq 'name props))
                          (gv-deref ref))
    (advice--remove-function .........))
  (setf (gv-deref ref)
        (advice--make where function (gv-deref ref) props)))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

i.e., replacing the old code, instead of doing nothing.

Is the current behavior intended?  If not, can we change it?

Regards,

Michael.