Subject: 24.2.93; auto-generated latin-ltx mappings make suboptimal glyph choices
From: Richard Lowe <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 18:37:10 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

After the change http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/emacs/emacs-24/revision/107803:

    * leim/quail/latin-ltx.el: Auto-generate some of the entries.
    (latin-ltx--ascii-p): New function.
    (latin-ltx--define-rules): New macro.
    (define-rules): Use it.

Certain latin-ltx rules (those for diaeresis etc) are autogenerated
based on a pattern match of character names, this has the unfortunate
side-effect of sometimes making undesirable (at least to me) choices of
glyph.

For example, on this system if I type \"e it prefers CYRILLIC SMALL
LETTER E WITH DIAERESIS (the equivalent is true for A, O, etc.) --
presumably because this is the first character that matches the pattern
specified -- it's rarely the character I want though, and it's
impossible to get completion access to others (or possibly enter them at
all, I'm not familiar enough with quail to say, I've never needed to be
before)

Reverting the above change restores things to defaulting latin, as it
used to.  It'd be nice to either get the old behaviour back, to get the
ability to cycle the possibilities, or to have the ability to specify
which alphabet should "win" to resolve conflicts, whichever is more
appropriate.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.93.5 (i386-apple-darwin11.4.2, NS apple-appkit-1138.51)
 of 2013-02-25 on quisling.home
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1138
Configured using:
 `configure '--with-ns' '--without-pop''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-\ t e x <tab> <return> \ " e s-x C-g M-x r e p o 
r t - e m <tab> b <backspace> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Loading quail/latin-ltx...done
kill-region: The mark is not set now, so there is no region
Quit

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils cus-start cus-load quail help-mode easymenu
time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty
emacs)