Subject: Re: bug#13833: 24.2.93; Proper SOCKS support
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2025 05:05:19 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> It would be great if all network primitives (open-network-stream and
>>> friends) supported SOCKS.
>> There is lisp/net/socks.el.  Unfortunately the implementation overwrites
>> open-network-stream using defalias.  That is terrible.
>
> Yes, that's a bug.
>
>> Maybe add-function could be used here?
>
> You mean add-advice?  Yes, that would be better at least.

Nothing has happened here within 11 years.  This bug is basically a
request to generally improve SOCKS support, which would absolutely be a
good thing.  However, it will be hard to make any progress on that
without a patch.  Meanwhile, some things have changed, and others have
improved.

I'm therefore closing this bug report now, until such a time that anyone
takes on the job of taking a look at improving our SOCKS support.