Subject: 24.2.92; C-s prompts with "Multi I-search:" today
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 20:49:58 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Visit src/ChangeLog, then type 'C-s' and be amazed by the "Multi "
prefix to the usual "I-search:" prompt.

Yes, this is evidently there since Emacs 23.1.  Yes, it probably tells
you how much I search ChangeLog files, or look at the prompt when I
do.  But all of this aside, I have a couple of questions:

 . Why is it a good idea to show this Multi thing at the very
   beginning of the search, when there's no evidence whatsoever that
   the search is in danger of crossing into the next file in the
   series?  It's confusing to see this, because _I_ didn't ask for
   multi-file or multibuffer isearch.  It took me by surprise and
   forced me to go looking for the reason (tried in other versions of
   Emacs and in other buffers, before it dawned on me that it is
   something specific to add-log mode).  You want to be nice to me?
   fine: then show this to me when I type C-s that will cross into the
   next file, but not before that.  _Then_ I might appreciate the
   service.  But when I type my first C-s, please give me just what I
   asked for.

 . This should at least be documented in the manual.  When I saw this
   prompt, I tried to figure out what it meant (did someone really
   think that "Multi" explains it all?), but it seems not to be
   mentioned anywhere in the docs.  Even the NEWS entry for Emacs
   23.1, which does say that isearch is automatically multi-file in
   ChangeLog files, doesn't mention this prompt.  I needed to wade
   through isearch.el to find what it meant, only to find out that the
   facility used to trigger it -- multi-search-next-buffer-function --
   is not documented in the Elisp manual, either, which sounds weird
   if we consider such features useful in other modes.  Is this a
   secret of some sorts?

In GNU Emacs 24.2.92.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2013-01-11 on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --cflags -Id:/usr/include/libxml2'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1255
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Mail

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: mail-mode-auto-fill
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <return> 
<return> <up> <up> <return> I S-SPC m e a n t SPC t 
o o - l o n g , SPC o f SPC c o u r s e . <up> SPC 
SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC 
SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC ^ ^ ^ ^ 
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ <M-left> <down> <down> <C-end> C-w 
<return> S o r r y . <return> <C-home> C-c C-s <switch-frame> 
d d d SPC d d d d SPC d d d d d d SPC d SPC d d d <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> C-c C-n r C-c C-y C-x C-x C-SPC <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> C-w <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <return> 
<return> <up> <up> <return> T h e r e ' s SPC n o SPC 
1 1 M-/ SPC y e t SPC o n SPC e m a c s - 2 4 , SPC 
i t s SPC l a t e s t SPC i s SPC 1 1 1 2 0 8 . C-z 
C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z <right> C-z 
C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z <C-end> C-w <C-home> C-c C-s <help-echo> 
<switch-frame> d d SPC n d SPC d d d d d M-p C-z C-z 
C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z 
C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z 
C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z d d 
d d d <switch-frame> M-x r e p o r t - e m a c s - 
b u <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Reverting buffer `.bzr.log'.
Auto-saving...
Reverting buffer `.bzr.log'. [2 times]
Mark set [2 times]
Sending...
Added to d:/usr/eli/rmail/SENT.MAIL
Sending email 
Sending email done
Sending...done
No following nondeleted message

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug tar-mode thai-util thai-word vc-dispatcher descr-text
pp etags mule-util ebuff-menu electric lpr shell utf-7 bug-reference
add-log misearch multi-isearch rmailout network-stream starttls tls
mail-extr smtpmail auth-source eieio password-cache dabbrev mailalias
sendmail time-stamp help-mode tcl nxml-uchnm rng-xsd xsd-regexp
rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse
rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln
nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok sgml-mode conf-mode
generic arc-mode archive-mode diff-mode dired-x cl-macs gv dired
face-remap org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc
org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks
org-agenda org-info org-gnus gnus-util org-docview org-bibtex bibtex
org-bbdb org byte-opt warnings bytecomp byte-compile cconv advice
help-fns advice-preload ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote
org-src ob-comint ob-keys org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob org-compat org-macs ob-eval
org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs parse-time
vc-cvs gud comint ansi-color ring sh-script smie executable autoconf
autoconf-mode make-mode jka-compr noutline outline easy-mmode info
autorevert flyspell vc-bzr cc-langs cl cl-lib cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
qp rmailsum rmailmm message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mail-parse rfc2231
rmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils desktop
server filecache mairix cus-edit easymenu cus-start cus-load wid-edit
saveplace midnight ispell generic-x paren battery time time-date
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp
w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process w32 multi-tty
emacs)