Subject: [IMPORTANT] *Implemented* a new versioning scheme for automake releases, and a new branching scheme for the Git repository
From: Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 18:46:38 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 02/21/2013 04:06 PM, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
>
> On 02/21/2013 03:32 PM, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
>>
>>> Not yet; we first need a preparatory patch adjusting NEWS and HACKING (as
>>> well as few miscellaneous comments in tests and scripts).  Then we can
>>> finally proceed with the re-shuffling of the Git repository -- which I
>>> guess will also have to be announced in autotools-announce at least, as
>>> well as reported as a news on Savannah.
>>>
>>> So here is my attempt; OK to push to branch-1.13.2?  I will proceed in a
>>> couple of days if there is no objection.
>>>
>> Pushed now.
>>
> In a couple of days, I will proceed with this "branch moving":
> 
>    * branch-1.13.2 -> maint
>    * maint -> master
>    * master -> next
> 
Done.  I'm thus closing this bug report.

Note that there are still some pending, tentative proposals about how to
improve the names and release policy for beta versions; but since those
proposals are more a follow-up to this discussion than an integral part
of it, they are IMO more suited to be further discussed in new, dedicated
threads.  So, if anyone is still interested in pursuing those ideas, please
open a new bug report (preferably complete with references to the relevant
messages in this thread, and with a summary of the main ideas, motivations,
and consensus -- or lack thereof -- reached so far).

Thanks to all that have participated to this discussion, and offered
their feedback, ideas and experiences.

Best regards,
  Stefano