Subject: 24.3.50; `report-emacs-bug' binds `C-c m', which is reserved for users
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 14:56:22 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This code in `report-emacs-bug' violates the convention set forth in
(elisp) `Key Binding Conventions', which reserves `C-c' plus a
letter for users:
 
(define-key (current-local-map) "\C-cm"
     'report-emacs-bug-insert-to-mailer)
 
Hard to believe this happened.  New key bindings, especially in longstanding,
core Emacs modes, should be reviewed before a
release.  The bug was introduced in Emacs 24.1.

The doc is unequivocal about this:
 
  Don't define `C-c LETTER' as a key in Lisp programs.  Sequences
  consisting of `C-c' and a letter (either upper or lower case) are
  reserved for users; they are the *only* sequences reserved for
  users, so do not block them.
 
In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2013-01-18 on ODIEONE
Bzr revision: 111548 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -IC:/Devel/emacs/build/include --ldflags -LC:/Devel/emacs/build/lib'