Subject: Re: bug#13464: Readlink Bug - Displays absolute path of a non existent file also
From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
To: PK <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 14:44:04 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

tag 13464 notabug
thanks

On 01/16/2013 11:05 AM, PK wrote:
> Hi,
> readlink -m <file> displays the absolute path of a <file>
> 
> The bug is that it displays, even if the file is non-existent.

But that is what -m (--canonicalize-missing) is _documented_ to do.  If
you want to fail for missing files, use -e (--canonicalize-existing); if
you want to probe whether a file name can be created (that is, the
directory portion exists), use -f (--canonicalize).

> 
> This does not solve the purpose and I see it creates more ambiguity in
> showing a non-existent file.

Sorry, but I don't see this as a bug, but a feature - the fact that we
have three different options with three different levels of existence
checks was intentional.  I'm closing this bug, but you can feel free to
add further comments or questions.

-- 
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org