Subject: 24.3.50; emacs 24 slow-down
From: raman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2013 18:39:32 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I've been   noticing sporadic but painful slow-downs in emacs 24
tip-of-tree -- but it's hard to pin down.

Entering debugger with toggle-debug-on-quit  doesn't show
anything too informative  except that sometimes it appears emacs
is repeatedly loading the same files from disk.

As an example, rendering web pages with w3 shows  emacs
repeatedly  stuck in (require 'image) 

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.16.1)
 of 2013-01-02 on labrador
System Description:	Ubuntu 9.04

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr/local --no-create --no-recursion'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
  gpm-mouse-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-summary-mode: t
  global-semanticdb-minor-mode: t
  semantic-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  display-time-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  jabber-activity-mode: t
  dynamic-completion-mode: t
  dired-omit-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-voice-lock-mode: t
  voice-lock-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
SPC d e b u TAB q i DEL u i TAB RET C-e ? g ESC DEL 
e m a c s p e a k RET C-e m C-e m C-x h f q C-x @ h 
s c d RET C-e l C-e m ESC > C-e m ESC > c d RET C-e 
m ESC > C-e e e e u C-e m ESC > C-c C-u C-e u t e c 
h TAB ESC m C-k r s TAB RET RET q C-e u t e c h TAB 
RET C-e m ESC < C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-p C-p q ESC : 
( d e f u n SPC w i d g e t - i m e DEL a g e - c r 
e a t e SPC ( & r e s t SPC i g n o r e ) ESC [ SPC 
t ) RET C-e m q C-e u t e c h TAB RET C-e m C-e m q 
ESC x t o g g l e TAB d e b TAB q TAB RET C-h V w 3 
SPC i m TAB RET ESC m C-n C-n C-n C-n C-p C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n ESC : ESC p C-g C-g ESC 
: ESC p C-g C-g ESC x l o c a t e SPC l i RET i m a 
g e RET C-e m ESC [ [ D C-e u t e c h TAB RET C-e m 
C-x h C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n ESC < f e p q q C-e m ESC x r e p o r t - b 
u TAB RET

Recent messages:
Quit [4 times]
Library is file /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/image.elc
Contacting host: news.com.com:80
Downloading of `file:///tmp/burl28581Oa.html' complete.
Drawing... done
Marked buffer  containing 316 lines
Windows laptop sales sink -- but that's just part of the problem
Contacting host: feedproxy.google.com:80
Downloading of `http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57562241-75/windows-laptop-sales-sink-but-thats-just-part-of-the-problem/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title' complete.
Drawing... done

Load-path shadows:
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/ess-20121220.2/.dir-locals hides /home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/kill-ring-search-20110605.1744/.dir-locals
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/ess-20121220.2/.dir-locals hides /home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-20121030.2025/.dir-locals
/home/raman/emacs/lisp/site-lisp/gm/g-utils hides /home/raman/emacs/lisp/emacspeak/lisp/g-client/g-utils
/home/raman/emacs/lisp/site-lisp/vm/lisp/tapestry hides /home/raman/emacs/lisp/emacspeak/lisp/tapestry
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/fold-dwim-20120926.1236/fold-dwim hides /home/raman/emacs/lisp/site-lisp/fold-dwim
/home/raman/emacs/lisp/emacspeak/lisp/tetris hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/play/tetris
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/ess-20121220.2/.dir-locals hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals
/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/emms-20121219.1939/tq hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq

Features:
(shadow emacsbug rect w3-style emacspeak-websearch
emacspeak-w3search emacspeak-flyspell flyspell emacspeak-ispell
ispell mailalias vm-reply debug network-stream url-http url-gw
emacspeak-url-template vm-sort vm-virtual vm-delete
emacspeak-hide tapestry vm-rfaddons vm-menu vm-window vm-toolbar
vm-mouse vm-page vm-minibuf emacspeak-vm vm w3-imenu
emacspeak-imenu imenu w3-speak-table w3-structure w3-hot
mm-archive emacspeak-message message mml mml-sec gmm-utils
mailheader url-file url-dired url-cache w3-toolbar w3-speak
w3-forms w3-emacs w3-props url-auth tramp-cache pcmpl-unix
epa-file jabber-bookmarks jabber-private emacspeak-wizards
emacspeak-eterm term ehelp emacspeak-texinfo texinfo
emacspeak-table-ui emacspeak-table emacspeak-find-dired
find-dired eldoc lisp-mnt t-mouse cal-china cal-bahai cal-islam
cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs gcal g-app mule-util cal-move
server w3-wget wget wget-sysdep emms-info-libtag emms-bookmarks
emms-lastfm-client emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon emms-browser sort
emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine
emms-player-mpd tq emms-playing-time emms-lyrics emms-url
emms-streams emms-tag-editor emms-mark emms-mode-line emms-cache
emms-info-ogginfo emms-info-mp3info emms-info later-do
emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mplayer
emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist emms-source-file
emms-setup emacspeak-emms emms emms-compat emacspeak-dictionary
dictionary link connection emacspeak-reftex reftex reftex-vars
egg emacspeak-diff-mode diff-mode ffap ediff-merg ediff-diff
ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-util emacspeak-ediff ediff-mult
ediff-init ediff electric Save-visited-files-autoloads
anaphora-autoloads android-mode-autoloads auctex-autoloads
emacspeak-auctex tex-site bash-completion-autoloads bm-autoloads
bookmark+-autoloads browse-kill-ring-autoloads
browse-url-dwim-autoloads buffer-utils-autoloads
c-eldoc-autoloads cl-format-autoloads cljdoc-autoloads
clojure-project-mode-autoloads clojurescript-mode-autoloads
closure-lint-mode-autoloads closure-template-html-mode-autoloads
color-theme-autoloads cppcheck-autoloads crontab-mode-autoloads
csv-mode-autoloads dart-mode-autoloads deft-autoloads
dictionary-autoloads dired+-autoloads dired-details+-autoloads
dired-details-autoloads dired-isearch-autoloads
dired-single-autoloads dizzee-autoloads doc-mode-autoloads
dotassoc-autoloads durendal-autoloads clojure-mode-autoloads
ecb-snapshot-autoloads echo-pick-autoloads edbi-autoloads
egg-autoloads eimp-autoloads ein-autoloads
auto-complete-autoloads elisp-cache-autoloads
elisp-slime-nav-autoloads emms-autoloads epc-autoloads
ctable-autoloads concurrent-autoloads deferred-autoloads
epoch-view-autoloads eshell-info-autoloads emacspeak-info info
esxml-autoloads expand-region-autoloads fakir-autoloads
find-file-in-project-autoloads find-file-in-repository-autoloads
find-things-fast-autoloads fold-dwim-org-autoloads
fold-dwim-autoloads gist-autoloads go-mode-autoloads
google-this-autoloads google-translate-autoloads gopher-autoloads
header2-autoloads heap-autoloads helm-autoloads
http-twiddle-autoloads ido-ubiquitous-autoloads iflipb-autoloads
igrep-autoloads inflections-autoloads ioccur-autoloads
isearch+-autoloads js-comint-autoloads js2-mode-autoloads
key-chord-autoloads kill-ring-search-autoloads kv-autoloads
lib-requires-autoloads lmc-autoloads loccur-autoloads
macro-math-autoloads magit-gh-pulls-autoloads gh-autoloads
logito-autoloads magithub-autoloads magnet-autoloads
markchars-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads marmalade-autoloads
furl-autoloads maxframe-autoloads memory-usage-autoloads
minimap-autoloads mustache-mode-autoloads my-packages-autoloads
nav-autoloads oauth-autoloads oauth2-autoloads otp-autoloads
packed-autoloads magit-autoloads paredit-autoloads
pcache-autoloads perspective-autoloads popup-autoloads
project-autoloads project-mode-autoloads levenshtein-autoloads
protobuf-mode-autoloads pylint-autoloads pysmell-autoloads
python-mode-autoloads quarter-plane-autoloads queue-autoloads
regex-tool-autoloads register-list-autoloads scala-mode-autoloads
scratch-autoloads session-autoloads shadchen-autoloads
shell-here-autoloads shell-switcher-autoloads edmacro
emacspeak-kmacro kmacro slime-repl-autoloads slime-autoloads
smex-autoloads ssh-config-mode-autoloads string-utils-autoloads
list-utils-autoloads synonyms-autoloads tabkey2-autoloads
tabula-rasa-mode-autoloads texdrive-autoloads
thumb-through-autoloads tidy-autoloads unbound-autoloads
vlf-autoloads watch-buffer-autoloads wcheck-mode-autoloads
websocket-autoloads wget-autoloads wgrep-autoloads
workspaces-autoloads wtf-autoloads xml-gen-autoloads
yagist-autoloads finder-inf package emacs-startup uniquify
semantic/idle semantic/format ezimage semantic/tag-ls
semantic/find semantic/ctxt semantic/db-mode semantic/db
eieio-base saveplace midnight emacspeak-cedet semantic/util-modes
semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw
mode-local cedet savehist emacspeak-ido ido time autoinsert
emacspeak-gm gm tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs
emacspeak-twittering twittering-mode parse-time epa epg
epg-config ssl emacspeak-jabber jabber jabber-libnotify
jabber-awesome jabber-osd jabber-wmii jabber-xmessage
jabber-festival jabber-sawfish jabber-ratpoison jabber-screen
jabber-socks5 jabber-ft-server jabber-si-server jabber-ft-client
jabber-ft-common jabber-si-client jabber-si-common
jabber-feature-neg jabber-truncate jabber-time jabber-autoaway
jabber-vcard-avatars jabber-chatstates jabber-events jabber-vcard
jabber-avatar jabber-activity jabber-watch jabber-modeline
jabber-ahc-presence jabber-ahc jabber-version jabber-ourversion
jabber-muc-nick-completion hippie-exp jabber-browse jabber-search
jabber-register jabber-roster jabber-presence jabber-muc
jabber-muc-nick-coloring assoc hexrgb jabber-newdisco
jabber-widget jabber-disco jabber-chat jabber-history
jabber-chatbuffer jabber-alert jabber-iq jabber-core
jabber-console emacspeak-sgml-mode sgml-mode ewoc jabber-keymap
jabber-sasl sasl sasl-anonymous sasl-login sasl-plain fsm
jabber-logon jabber-conn srv dns starttls tls jabber-xml
jabber-menu jabber-autoloads jabber-util emacspeak-erc
erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat pp emacspeak-org org
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src ob-comint
ob-keys org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
emacspeak-outline foldout noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob org-compat org-macs ob-eval org-loaddefs
format-spec emacspeak-find-func find-func emacspeak-calendar
lunar solar cal-dst diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs emacspeak-tcl tcl emacspeak-folding folding
emacspeak-w3m w3m-form emacspeak-m-player w3m doc-view jka-compr
image-mode w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl
w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util w3-prepare w3 w3-menu
w3-emulate w3-auto w3-parse w3-fast-parse mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode emacspeak-w3 emacspeak-google emacspeak-we
emacspeak-xslt w3-display w3-mouse w3-imap url-handlers w3-widget
w3-vars w3-keymap w3-cus css font disp-table devices ange-ftp
w3-cfg w3-compat emacspeak-sigbegone sigbegone emacspeak-custom
cus-edit cus-start smtpmail sendmail mail-utils emacspeak-mspools
mspools bbdb-vm vm-mime vm-folder vm-summary vm-motion vm-undo
vm-misc bbdb-snarf mail-extr rfc822 bbdb-hooks mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums bbdb-autoloads bbdb-com mailabbrev
emacspeak-bbdb bbdb timezone vm-pine vm-macro vm-message
vm-autoloads vm-vars vm-version my-functions completion dired-aux
dired-x emacspeak-dired emacspeak-desktop desktop dired
emacspeak-aumix emacspeak-setup emacspeak-dbus nm dbus xml
emacspeak-webspace emacspeak-webutils url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
url-parse auth-source eieio gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache url-vars mailcap gweb greader browse-url g-auth
gfeeds g-utils json derived emacspeak-alsaplayer emacspeak-amark
emacspeak-advice vc shell pcomplete comint ring
emacspeak-ansi-color ansi-color emacspeak-replace
emacspeak-redefine emacspeak-personality emacspeak
emacspeak-widget wid-edit emacspeak-facemenu byte-opt warnings
bytecomp byte-compile cconv emacspeak-fix-interactive
emacspeak-buff-menu g-cus-load cus-load emacspeak-sounds
emacspeak-preamble emacspeak-keymap emacspeak-speak time-date
emacspeak-pronounce thingatpt dtk-speak flite-voices dtk-interp
voice-setup dectalk-voices espeak-voices mac-voices
multispeech-voices outloud-voices dtk-unicode descr-text
help-mode easymenu dtk-css-speech acss-structure
emacspeak-load-path advice help-fns vc-git vc-dispatcher vc-svn
cl-macs gv cl nadvice cl-lib tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Best Regards,
--raman