Subject: Bug#525359: wish there was a libcoreutils
From: Russell Coker <[email-masked]>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 08:37:30 +1000

Package: coreutils
Version: 6.10-6
Severity: wishlist

I wish there was a shared library providing the functionality of base64, cksum,
md5sum, sha*sum, and wc.

I know that there are other libraries implementing md5sum and the SHA
hashes, but I would prefer to use a GNU source for that code.

I am not aware of any other library that provides base64 encoding and decoding
for C programs.

Writing code equivalent to "wc" would not be THAT difficult, but I still think
it's best to have it in a library for faster development and so that everyone
can use a correct implementation (it's something that often gets done badly).

-- System Information:
Debian Release: 5.0.1
  APT prefers stable
  APT policy: (500, 'stable')
Architecture: i386 (i686)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.26-1-686 (SMP w/1 CPU core)
Locale: LANG=en_AU.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_AU.UTF-8 (charmap=ANSI_X3.4-1968) (ignored: LC_ALL set to C)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash

Versions of packages coreutils depends on:
ii  libacl1                       2.2.47-2   Access control list shared library
ii  libc6                         2.7-18     GNU C Library: Shared libraries
ii  libselinux1                   2.0.65-5   SELinux shared libraries

coreutils recommends no packages.

coreutils suggests no packages.

-- no debconf information