Subject: Starting emacs as a daemon, and requesting a client with -n
From: Justin Wood <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 17:10:42 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

For the past month or so, when compiling from the latest source, I have
been having an issue starting Emacs as a daemon (emacs --daemon) and
requesting a client with "emacsclient -c -n". If I include the "-n"
option, nothing appears to happen, though, if I request a client with
just "-c", a new frame does appear.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1 (i386-apple-darwin12.2.0, NS apple-appkit-1187.34)
 of 2012-11-01 on ip-88.2.1.10.in-addr.arpa
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1187
Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD' '--without-dbus'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/info/emacs' '--with-ns'
 '--disable-ns-self-contained' 'CC=cc''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  rainbow-mode: t
  rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
  paredit-mode: t
  whitespace-mode: t
  guru-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  multi-web-global-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  helm-match-plugin-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  projectile-global-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  volatile-highlights-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  prelude-mode: t
  prelude-global-mode: t
  ruby-block-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x RET r e p o r t SPC e m <return>

Recent messages:
Loading /Users/woodjk/.emacs.d/personal/whitespace-mode.el (source)...done
Prelude is ready to do thy bidding, Master woodjk!
[yas] Loading for `emacs-lisp-mode', just-in-time: (yas--load-directory-1
/Users/woodjk/.emacs.d/elpa/yasnippet-20120923.1126/snippets/emacs-lisp-mode
(quote emacs-lisp-mode) (quote (text-mode)))!
[yas] Loading compiled snippets from
/Users/woodjk/.emacs.d/elpa/yasnippet-20120923.1126/snippets/emacs-lisp-mode
[yas] Loading for `text-mode', just-in-time: (yas--load-directory-1
/Users/woodjk/.emacs.d/elpa/yasnippet-20120923.1126/snippets/text-mode
(quote text-mode) (quote nil))!
[yas] Loading compiled snippets from
/Users/woodjk/.emacs.d/elpa/yasnippet-20120923.1126/snippets/text-mode
Starting new Ispell process [aspell::default] ...
Starting Emacs daemon.
When done with this frame, type C-x 5 0
Prelude tip: Press <C-c p f> to navigate a project's files with ido.

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/hexrgb hides
/Users/woodjk/.emacs.d/vendor/hexrgb
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/srv hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/srv
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-xml hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-xml
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-xmessage hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-xmessage
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-wmii hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-wmii
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-widget hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-widget
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-watch hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-watch
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-version hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-version
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-vcard hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-vcard
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-vcard-avatars hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-vcard-avatars
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-util hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-util
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-truncate hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-truncate
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-time hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-time
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-socks5 hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-socks5
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-si-server hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-si-server
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-si-common hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-si-common
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-si-client hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-si-client
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-search hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-search
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-screen hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-screen
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-sawfish hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-sawfish
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-sasl hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-sasl
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-roster hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-roster
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-register hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-register
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-ratpoison hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-ratpoison
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-private hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-private
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-presence hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-presence
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-ping hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-ping
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-ourversion hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-ourversion
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-osd hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-osd
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-newdisco hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-newdisco
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-muc hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-muc
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-muc-nick-completion hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-muc-nick-completion
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-muc-nick-coloring hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-muc-nick-coloring
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-modeline hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-modeline
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-menu hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-menu
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-logon hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-logon
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-libnotify hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-libnotify
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-keymap hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-keymap
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-keepalive hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-keepalive
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-iq hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-iq
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-history hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-history
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-gmail hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-gmail
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-ft-server hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-ft-server
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-ft-common hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-ft-common
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-ft-client hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-ft-client
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-festival hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-festival
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-feature-neg hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-feature-neg
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-export hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-export
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-events hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-events
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-disco hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-disco
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-core hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-core
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-console hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-console
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-conn hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-conn
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-compose hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-compose
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-chatstates hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-chatstates
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-chatbuffer hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-chatbuffer
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-chat hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-chat
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-browse hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-browse
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-bookmarks hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-bookmarks
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-awesome hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-awesome
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-avatar hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-avatar
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-autoloads hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-autoloads
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-autoaway hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-autoaway
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-alert hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-alert
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-ahc hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-ahc
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-ahc-presence hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-ahc-presence
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/jabber-activity hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/jabber-activity
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/hexrgb hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/hexrgb
~/.emacs.d/vendor/emacs-jabber/fsm hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/fsm
/Users/woodjk/.emacs.d/elpa/ruby-mode-20110630.954/ruby-mode hides
/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.2.50/lisp/progmodes/ruby-mode
/Users/woodjk/.emacs.d/vendor/starttls hides
/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.2.50/lisp/gnus/starttls
/Users/woodjk/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-20121014.1043/.dir-locals hides
/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.2.50/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils rainbow-mode
rainbow-delimiters paredit disp-table whitespace guru-mode flyspell
ispell melpa hexrgb starttls jabber-autoloads cmake-mode lorem-ipsum
multi-web-mode prelude-osx exec-path-from-shell
prelude-global-keybindings prelude-editor esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt
esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg eldoc esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode
esh-util re-builder midnight helm-projectile helm-config helm-misc
helm-files image-dired dired-x dired-aux ffap helm-tags helm-bookmark
helm-adaptative helm-info helm-net browse-url xml url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap helm-plugin helm-locate helm-help
helm-match-plugin helm-external helm-buffers helm-grep helm-regexp grep
helm-elscreen helm-utils dired helm projectile s yasnippet help-mode
expand-region text-mode-expansions ruby-mode-expansions
expand-region-custom expand-region-core icomplete ido tramp tramp-compat
auth-source gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs
shell pcomplete format-spec etags volatile-highlights hl-line paren
windmove recentf tree-widget wid-edit savehist saveplace uniquify
electric autorevert delsel prelude-mode easy-mmode easymenu prelude-core
repeat thingatpt prelude-ui zenburn-theme server prelude-packages
ack-and-a-half-autoloads exec-path-from-shell-autoloads
expand-region-autoloads gist-autoloads gh-autoloads eieio
helm-projectile-autoloads helm-autoloads logito-autoloads
magithub-autoloads magit-autoloads melpa-autoloads byte-opt warnings
bytecomp byte-compile cconv advice help-fns advice-preload
pcache-autoloads finder-inf php-mode-autoloads
prelude-emacs-lisp-autoloads prelude-lisp prelude-lisp-autoloads
paredit-autoloads prelude-ruby-autoloads edmacro kmacro ruby-block
inf-ruby compile comint ansi-color ring ruby-mode inf-ruby-autoloads
prelude-programming-autoloads time-date which-func imenu
guru-mode-autoloads projectile-autoloads rainbow-delimiters-autoloads
rainbow-mode-autoloads rspec-mode-autoloads ruby-block-autoloads
ruby-end-autoloads ruby-mode-autoloads ruby-tools-autoloads s-autoloads
solarized-theme-autoloads volatile-highlights-autoloads
yaml-mode-autoloads yari-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads
zenburn-theme-autoloads package cl-macs gv cl cl-lib tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty emacs)