Subject: 24.2.50; doc fix for (info "(emacs)Disabled Transient Mark")
From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 12:13:16 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Here is a couple of fixes for info node "(emacs)Disabled Transient Mark":

1. The paragraph [a] should be removed, since it describes a behavior
that does not depend on transient mark mode being disabled.

2. The paragraph [b] is not accurate, since it doesn't mention that
the point and mark are exchanged.

[a]
     * Many commands that move point long distances, like `M-<' and
       `C-s', first set the mark where point was.

[b]
  `C-u C-x C-x'
       Activate the mark and enable Transient Mark mode temporarily, until
       the mark is next deactivated.  (This is the `C-x C-x' command,
       `exchange-point-and-mark', with a prefix argument.)

Proposed patch:

=== modified file 'doc/emacs/mark.texi'
--- doc/emacs/mark.texi 2012-05-27 01:25:06 +0000
+++ doc/emacs/mark.texi 2012-10-28 11:00:17 +0000
@@ -430,10 +430,6 @@
 point and the mark (@pxref{Setting Mark}).

 @item
-Many commands that move point long distances, like @kbd{M-<} and
-@kbd{C-s}, first set the mark where point was.
-
-@item
 Some commands, which ordinarily act on the region when the mark is
 active, no longer do so.  For example, normally @kbd{M-%}
 (@code{query-replace}) performs replacements within the region, if the
@@ -455,9 +451,10 @@

 @item C-u C-x C-x
 @kindex C-u C-x C-x
-Activate the mark and enable Transient Mark mode temporarily, until
-the mark is next deactivated.  (This is the @kbd{C-x C-x} command,
-@code{exchange-point-and-mark}, with a prefix argument.)
+Exchange point and mark, activate the mark and enable Transient Mark
+mode temporarily, until the mark is next deactivated.  (This is the
+@kbd{C-x C-x} command, @code{exchange-point-and-mark}, with a prefix
+argument.)
 @end table

   These commands set or activate the mark, and enable Transient Mark

In GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
 of 2012-10-28 on DANI-PC
Bzr revision: 110699 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -I../../libs/libxpm-3.5.8/include -I../../libs/libxpm-3.5.8/src
 -I../../libs/libpng-1.4.10 -I../../libs/zlib-1.2.6
 -I../../libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include -I../../libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -I../../libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -I../../libs/libxml2-2.7.8-w32-bin/include/libxml2
 -I../../libs/gnutls-3.0.16/include
 -I../../libs/libiconv-1.14-2-mingw32-dev/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF8
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

-- 
Dani Moncayo