Subject: 24.2.50; Italic face is underlined instead of slanted
From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 13:25:36 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When I start Emacs with my init file or with -q, doing `M-x
customize-face RET italic' shows this:

Hide italic face: [sample]
    State : STANDARD.
   Basic italic face.
   [X] Underline: Value Menu On:
       Color: Value Menu Foreground Color
       Style: Value Menu Line
   Show All Attributes

This behavior began with my build from bzr trunk revision 109818.  With
my build prior to that, from revision 109703, the above recipe shows
this:

Hide Italic face: [sample]
    State : STANDARD.
   Basic italic face.
   [X] Slant: Value Menu italic
   Show All Attributes

But if I start Emacs with -Q, doing `M-x customize-face RET italic'
shows the latter in all my builds.  With -Q, the value of
fontset-alias-alist is:

(("-unknown-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-15-*-*-*-m-0-fontset-startup" . "-unknown-dejavu sans mono-normal-normal-normal-*-15-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1")
 ("-unknown-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-15-*-*-*-m-0-fontset-startup" . "fontset-startup")
 ("-*-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-standard" . "fontset-standard")
 ("-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-default" . "fontset-default"))

and the default font is:

-unknown-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-15-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1

I do not specify a font from X resources in my home directory; however,
my system (openSUSE 12.1) has this in /usr/share/X11/app-defaults/Emacs:

Emacs.Font:			fontset-16
[...]
Emacs*Fontset-0:\
	-*-fixed-medium-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-16,\

And with -q, the value of fontset-alias-alist is:

(("-*-fixed-medium-r-*--7-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-7" . "fontset-7")
 ("-*-fixed-medium-r-*--8-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-8" . "fontset-8")
 ("-*-fixed-medium-r-*--10-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-10" . "fontset-10")
 ("-*-fixed-medium-r-*--12-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-12" . "fontset-12")
 ("-*-fixed-medium-r-*--14-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-14" . "fontset-14")
 ("-*-fixed-medium-r-*--18-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-18" . "fontset-18")
 ("-*-fixed-medium-r-*--20-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-20" . "fontset-20")
 ("-*-fixed-medium-r-*--24-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-24" . "fontset-24")
 ("-*-fixed-medium-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-16" . "fontset-16")
 ("-*-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-standard" . "fontset-standard")
 ("-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-default" . "fontset-default"))

and the default font is:

-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-120-100-100-c-80-iso8859-1

which apparently lacks the italic slant attribute, since italic face
with this font is shown as underlined, even in my build from revision
109703.

In my Emacs init file, I have this:

(setq default-frame-alist
      '((font . "Dejavu Sans Mono-9") (font-backend . "xft")))

which suffices, in my build from revision 109703, to show italic as
slanted; but since revision 109818, italic is shown as underlined even
with the above sexp.

I ran bzr bisect, and if I used it correctly (which I'm not sure of), it
appears to implicate revision 109788:

steve@rosalinde:~/bzr/emacs/quickfixes> bzr bisect no -r 109703
On revision 109788 ([email-masked]):      
Special MEM_TYPE_SPARE to denote reserved memory.
* alloc.c (enum mem_type): New memory type.
(refill_memory_reserve): Use new type for spare memory.
This prevents live_cons_p and live_string_p from incorrect
detection of uninitialized objects from spare memory as live.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.50.3 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.7)
 of 2012-09-04 on rosalinde
Bzr revision: 109873 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11004000
Configured using:
 `configure '--without-toolkit-scroll-bars' 'CFLAGS=-g -O0''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x e s <tab> <return> <up> <down> <up> <down> <return> 
<select-window> <help-echo> <select-window> <help-echo> 
<select-window> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> x <return> 
<up> <return> d SPC 1 - 4 <return> q <return> <select-window> 
<select-window> <help-echo> <select-window> <f1> M-x 
g u <return> J j <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> M-x r e p o r <tab> 
<return>

Recent messages:
Opening nnfolder server on private...done
Reading active file from private via nnfolder...done
Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...
Opening nnfolder server on archive...done
Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...done
Reading active file via nndraft...done
Checking new news...done
Source file `/data/steve/bzr/emacs/quickfixes/lisp/gnus/gnus-topic.el' newer than byte-compiled file
Source file `/data/steve/bzr/emacs/quickfixes/lisp/mail/emacsbug.el' newer than byte-compiled file
Source file `/data/steve/bzr/emacs/quickfixes/lisp/mail/sendmail.el' newer than byte-compiled file

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-cite mail-extr emacsbug sendmail gnus-topic nndraft
nnmh nnfolder netrc gnutls network-stream starttls tls gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap nntp gnus-cache
gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader
mail-utils em-unix em-term term disp-table ehelp electric em-script
em-prompt em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic
em-banner em-alias esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc
esh-arg esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util edmacro kmacro
eldoc adaptive-wrap-autoloads debbugs-autoloads package view mule-util
cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays
hol-loaddefs face-remap appt tramp-cache tramp-sh ange-ftp tramp-ftp
tramp tramp-compat auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
cconv gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs shell
pcomplete comint ansi-color ring format-spec paren recentf tree-widget
wid-edit allout cus-start cus-load todos derived cl-macs gv cl cl-lib
macroexp diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu easymenu calendar
cal-loaddefs srb-cal+diary+appt advice help-fns advice-preload w3m-load
bbdb-loaddefs srb-recentf srb-mode-line time noutline outline srb-misc
easy-mmode time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)