Subject: 24.2.50; Inappropriate warning about site-lisp not existing
From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 10:50:25 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

With my current Emacs build, this warning appears in the shell when I
start emacs with my init file or with -q (but of course not with -Q):
"Warning: Lisp directory `/home/steve/bzr/emacs/quickfixes/site-lisp'
does not exist."  The quickfixes path is my Emacs source tree; I guess
site-lisp is added only when Emacs is built with `make install', which I
do not use, so I think the warning is inappropriate.  The warning
apparently comes from load_path_check, which exists since this change
(committed between my current and my previous build, which lacked this
warning):

2012-07-07  Glenn Morris  <[email-masked]>

	* lread.c (load_path_check): New function, split from init_lread.
	(init_lread): Reorganize.  Motivation:
	If EMACSLOADPATH is set, check/warn about that rather than the
	defaults, which we are not going to use.  Hence we can remove
	the turn_off_warning and WINDOWSNT || HAVE_NS tests.
	Don't warn if site-lisp directories are missing.
	If not installed, start from a blank load-path, since
	PATH_LOADSEARCH refers to the eventual installation directories.

It sounds like this should explicitly suppress the warning I'm seeing,
so either it's not working, or I misunderstand it, or the warning is
coming from somewhere else.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.7)
 of 2012-08-20 on rosalinde
Bzr revision: 109703 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11004000
Configured using:
 `configure '--without-toolkit-scroll-bars' 'CFLAGS=-g -O0''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> 
<mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <down-mouse-5> 
<mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <help-echo> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <help-echo> 
M-x - h s <tab> <return> 3 0 <return> M-x <up> <return> 
5 0 <return> M-x <up> <return> 2 <return> M-x <up> 
<return> - 4 <return> C-h f - h <tab> s <tab> s <tab> 
t <backspace> r b <return> C-x o <tab> <return> C-x 
k <return> <f1> M-x C-g C-u 3 0 M-x <up> <return> C-g 
C-c r <return> <return> <return> C-_ C-s s c r o l 
l - <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> SPC C-c " p C-M-x C-x b <return> C-u 
3 0 M-x <up> <return> C-x < C-x > C-x > C-x b <return> 
<help-echo> <select-window> <help-echo> C-h f r e a 
d - n u <tab> C-g <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <C-right> <right> M-d M-d n u m b e r C-SPC 
C-SPC C-SPC C-SPC C-SPC C-SPC C-SPC C-SPC C-SPC C-SPC 
C-SPC C-M-x C-x b <return> M-x <up> <return> X C-x 
> C-x b <return> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <left> 
<left> <backspace> P C-M-x C-x b <return> M-x <up> 
<return> 4 0 <return> q C-x C-s C-x b s <backspace> 
C-g M-x g u <return> J j 1 j b u g <tab> <return> M-g 
9 <return> SPC n <select-window> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> 
<double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> 
<mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> 
<double-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> 
<double-mouse-5> <select-window> <help-echo> n n <help-echo> 
<select-window> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> 
<double-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <down-mouse-4> 
<mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> <double-mouse-4> <down-mouse-5> 
<mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> 
<mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> SPC h n 2 b n n 
n n q M-x r e p o <tab> r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Mark activated [10 times]
srb-hscroll
Auto-saving...done
srb-hscroll
Auto-saving...done
Saving file /data/steve/.emacs.d/site-lisp/srb-misc.el...
Wrote /data/steve/.emacs.d/site-lisp/srb-misc.el
Quit
Opening nntp server on news.gmane.org...done
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug sendmail gnus-fun jka-compr flow-fill shr browse-url
ido find-func sort smiley gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg
parse-time qp gnus-ml nndoc url-handlers mm-archive url-cache
debbugs-gnu debbugs soap-client url-http url-auth url-gw url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util url-parse url-vars warnings xml help-mode bug-reference add-log
vc-bzr cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs misearch multi-isearch find-dired
dired-x dired grep compile gnus-topic nndraft nnmh nnfolder netrc gnutls
network-stream starttls tls gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime
smime dig mailcap nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo
nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils em-unix em-term term disp-table ehelp
electric em-script em-prompt em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs
em-cmpl em-basic em-banner em-alias esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt
esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util
edmacro kmacro eldoc adaptive-wrap-autoloads debbugs-autoloads package
view mule-util cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam
cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs face-remap appt tramp-cache tramp-sh
ange-ftp tramp-ftp tramp tramp-compat auth-source eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache
tramp-loaddefs shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring format-spec paren
recentf tree-widget wid-edit allout cus-start cus-load todos derived
cl-macs gv cl cl-lib macroexp diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu easymenu
calendar cal-loaddefs srb-cal+diary+appt advice help-fns advice-preload
w3m-load bbdb-loaddefs srb-recentf srb-mode-line time noutline outline
srb-misc easy-mmode time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)