Subject: 24.1.50; setting cache-long-line-scans to non-nil freezes Emacs
From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 06:54:28 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I recently found this variable in the manual: `cache-long-line-scans'.

However, nearly every time I set it to a non-nil value, Emacs instantly
freezes, C-g has no more effect.

To reproduce in emacs -Q, e.g. type C-h n and then M-:
(setq cache-long-line-scans t).

Thanks,

Michael.

In GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2)
 of 2012-08-07 on dex, modified by Debian
 (emacs-snapshot package, version 2:20120807-1)
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11203000
Configured using:
 `configure '--build' 'i486-linux-gnu' '--host' 'i486-linux-gnu'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--without-compress-info' '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/'
 '--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-imagemagick=yes'
 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i486-linux-gnu'
 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000 -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g
 -Wl,--as-needed -znocombreloc' 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''