Subject: 24.1.50; Regression: command `ucs-insert' is no longer recognized
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 15:50:08 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

It's one thing to want to alias `ucs-insert' to `insert-char' or vice
versa.  It is another thing to simply remove `ucs-insert' as a command.
 
That is not kosher.  That is not deprecation - it is immediate
desupport.  Please restore `ucs-insert', at least as an alias, so that
users and code that calls `ucs-insert' do not find themselves orphaned.
 
Furthermore, I see this in NEWS:
 
** `insert-char' is now a command, and `ucs-insert' an obsolete alias
for it.
 
No, the latter part is apparently not true.  Neither `M-x' nor `C-h f'
recognizes `ucs-insert' at all.

I also do not understand this, which is the only occurrence of `ucs-insert' in
the distributed Lisp files:

(define-obsolete-variable-alias 'ucs-insert 'insert-char "24.2")

What is that about?  Variable?  Seems like this is the cause of the bugged
behavior: the function no longer exists.

In GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-07-22 on MARVIN
Bzr revision: 109189
[email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.13.1-1-dev/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8/include/libxml2'