Subject: 24.0.94; doc of `define-minor-mode'
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 18:54:47 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The doc says that the mode function that gets defined accepts an
optional argument.  The interactive description is OK.
 
The non-interactive description says only "When called from Lisp, it
enables the mode if the argument is omitted or nil, and toggles the mode
if the argument is `toggle'."
 
IOW, it says nothing about what happens when an arg is passed that is
not nil or omitted or `toggle'.  And I've seen at least one user try to
use `(foo-mode t)'.  It turns out that that has the same effect as
`(foo-mode 1)', but nothing in the doc says that it should.
 
The doc should, at a minimum, say what kinds of non-nil arguments it
expects (e.g. integer).
 
Personally, I think it should probably go beyond that and say also what
it does with other non-nil args, but that's your call.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.94.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-02-26 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include'