Subject: 23.3; MAC OS X Emacs doesn't get all colors
From: "Daniel (Youngwhan) Song" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 17:01:46 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

HI,

After a MAC OS X Emacs starts, when I do "M-x list-colors-display", it
shows only 37 colors. 

David Caldwell showed me that it can be corrected
by "Type "C-h v x-colors" to get help on the x-color variable. Then click
where it says "common-win.el.gz" to go to the definition of the variable
in the emacs source code. Then type "C-M-x" to re-evaluate that part of
the code. Now when you do list-colors-display you should have 500+
colors."

It may be a bug, and should be fixed.

Thanks,
Daniel

In GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
of 2011-12-13 on bob.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
configured using `configure  '--host=x86_64-apple-darwin' '--build=i686-apple-darwin' '--with-ns' 'build_alias=i686-apple-darwin' 'host_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin' 'CC=gcc -mmacosx-version-min=10.5''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  nxhtml-menu-mode: t
  nxhtml-tag-do-also: t
  popcmp-group-alternatives: t
  popcmp-short-help-beside-alts: t
  mlinks-active-links: t
  rngalt-minimal-validation-header: t
  rngalt-display-validation-header: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> 
<triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> 
<triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down> 
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> 
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> 
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> C-x b n o <tab> <return> C-x 1 C-r k e r 
n e l C-r C-r <return> C-a C-n C-SPC <down> M-w C-p 
C-y C-p C-n M-f M-f M-f M-f M-f M-f M-f M-f M-f <right> 
<right> <right> <right> C-d 4 <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> C-d C-d C-d C-d C-d 
C-d C-d C-d <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> C-a C-SPC C-e M-w C-a C-SPC 
C-e M-w C-a C-SPC C-e M-w C-a C-SPC C-e M-w C-a C-h 
v x - 0 <backspace> c o l o <tab> <return> C-x o C-s 
c o m m o n C-g C-x o C-x o M-< <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<return> C-M-x M-x d i s <tab> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> l i s t <tab> d i s <tab> c o <tab> <return> 
C-x o C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v 
C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-x 
0 M-x r e p o y <backspace> <tab> r t <tab> <retur
n>

Recent messages:
call-interactively: End of bufferError during redisplay: (void-function mode-line-mode-name)
Error during redisplay: (void-function mode-line-mode-name) [2 times]
call-interactively: End of bufferError during redisplay: (void-function mode-line-mode-name)
Error during redisplay: (void-function mode-line-mode-name) [2 times]
call-interactively: End of bufferError during redisplay: (void-function mode-line-mode-name)
Error during redisplay: (void-function mode-line-mode-name) [2 times]
call-interactively: End of bufferError during redisplay: (void-function mode-line-mode-name)
Error during redisplay: (void-function mode-line-mode-name) [3 times]
Making completion list...
Error during redisplay: (void-function mode-line-mode-name) [4 times]

Load-path shadows:
/Users/dansong/.emacs.d/nxhtml/related/php-mode hides ~/.emacs.d/php-mode
~/.emacs.d/ansi-color hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/ansi-color

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec mailabbrev
nnheader gmm-utils mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash mail-utils
emacsbug jka-compr find-func multi-isearch newcomment python-21 python
sh-script xcscope php-mode etags cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-menus
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe mercurial vc vc-dispatcher executable
color-theme sendmail reporter nxhtml-autostart nxhtml-autoload moz
cc-cmds majmodpri vc-git nxhtml-menu udev-rinari udev-ecb udev
flymake-js flymake css-color nxhtml-mode html-quote tidy-xhtml ediff
html-imenu imenu loadhist popcmp xhtml-help mlinks html-toc xml fupd
html-pagetoc foldit appmenu-fold appmenu mumamo sgml-mode rngalt
rng-nxml nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-glyph rng-valid rng-loc
rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok desktop help-mode view flyspell ispell
fold-dwim hideshow html-upl html-site ourcomments-util uniquify recentf
tree-widget org org-footnote org-src org-list org-faces org-compat
org-macs noutline outline ido bookmark apropos grep ffip compile
gimpedit web-vcs rx url-http tls url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-auth url-cookie url-util url-parse url-gw
url-vars mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr cus-edit cus-start
cus-load web-autoload nxhtml-base tramp-imap assoc tramp-gw tramp-fish
tramp-smb tramp-cache tramp-ftp tramp-cmds tramp auth-source gnus-util
netrc time-date password-cache format-spec tramp-compat trampver git
ewoc psvn byte-opt warnings bytecomp byte-compile derived wid-edit
log-edit pcvs-util add-log diff-mode easy-mmode pp elp ediff-merg
ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util dired
cpp-match cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs regexp-opt bm
edmacro kmacro info shell-command shell comint ring advice help-fns
advice-preload ansi-color misc-cmds cl cl-19 tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win easymenu tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty
emacs)