Subject: 23.0.60; file name completion fails in *shell* buffer

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:09:07 +0200

Hello!

When I write in *shell* buffer the command to launch an elderly  
version of an Emacs application in Mac OS X to pass some arguments to  
it, I use file name completion. I have to do it in steps. I start  
with <SPC> that GNU Emacs does not complain when I later try file  
name completion and write then "/App" <TAB> that it becomes / 
Applications/. I add "Aqu" and <TAB>. The path name is now expanded  
to "/Applications/AquaEmacs" with a few choices which are shown in a  
*Completions* buffer upon next TAB press:

	Click <mouse-2> on a completion to select it.
	In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.
	
	Possible completions are:
	AquaEmacs-2a.app/ 	AquaEmacs-bundle.app/ 	AquaEmacs-pre3.app/
	AquaEmacs-zuvor.app/ 	AquaEmacs.app/ 	AquaEmacs\ 8.0-rc5.app/

I select the last item, i.e. "AquaEmacs\ 8.0-rc5.app/" so that the  
command line now shows "/Applications/AquaEmacs\ 8.0-rc5.app/". This  
directory has only one member: "Contents". So I hit <TAB> and see: "/ 
Applications/AquaEmacs 8.0-rc5.app/Contents/". Great! The auxiliary  
backslashes are removed from the previously ugly view. This directory  
has a few members. To make a choice I hit again <TAB>. In *shell*  
buffer nothing happens, a beep sounds, and a *Backtrace* buffer opens:

	Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Opening directory" "no  
such file or directory" "/Users/pete/8.0-rc5.app/Contents/")
	  file-name-completion("" "/Users/pete/8.0-rc5.app/Contents/")
	  comint-dynamic-complete-as-filename()
	  shell-dynamic-complete-filename()
	  run-hook-with-args-until-success(shell-dynamic-complete-filename)
	  comint-dynamic-complete()
	  call-interactively(comint-dynamic-complete nil nil)

So it seems that the decision to remove the backslashes wasn't so  
clever ...

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.4 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, GTK+ Version  
2.12.11)
  of 2008-09-22 on localhost
Windowing system distributor `The XFree86 Project, Inc', version  
11.0.40400000
configured using `configure  '--without-sound' '--without-pop' '-- 
with-dbus' '--with-libotf' '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/ 
Application Support/Emacs/calendar23:/Library/Application Support/ 
Emacs/caml:/Library/Application Support/Emacs:/sw/share/emacs21/site- 
lisp/elib' 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/xft2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/ 
fontconfig2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/freetype219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/ 
pango-ft219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/qt4-x11/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/ 
system-openssl/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/share/pkgconfig:/ 
usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig'  
'CFLAGS=-Wno-pointer-sign -bind_at_load -H -pipe -fPIC -mcpu=7450 - 
mtune=7450 -fast -mpim-altivec -ftree-vectorize -foptimize-register- 
move -freorder-blocks -freorder-blocks-and-partition -fthread-jumps - 
fpeephole -fno-crossjumping' 'CPPFLAGS=-no-cpp-precomp' 'LDFLAGS=- 
bind_at_load -dead_strip -multiply_defined suppress -L/sw/lib/ncurses''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   display-time-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   global-auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <escape> x s h
e l l <return> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-2>
<mouse-2> C-x u o <backspace> SPC / A p p <tab> A q
u <tab> <tab> <down-mouse-2> <mouse-2> <tab> <tab>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu>
<send-emacs-bug-report>

--
Greetings

   Pete

Mac OS X is like a wigwam: no fences, no gates, but an apache inside.