Subject: Drop redundant Python 1.5 support?
From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
To: bug-automake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 23:42:41 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Reading python.m4, I notice that it claims to support only Python >=
2.0, yet still has specific support for Python 1.5. Would a patch
along the following lines therefore be accepted? (If so I'll write the
changelog entry &c.!)

From 159eee8f676f41aa4619d074e2bb8a01d102e4a8 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00
2001From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 23:40:48
+0100Subject: [PATCH] Remove Python 1.5 support.
--- m4/python.m4 |   14 ++++---------- 1 files changed, 4
insertions(+), 10 deletions(-)
diff --git a/m4/python.m4 b/m4/python.m4index a7c1dd7..642b498
100644--- a/m4/python.m4+++ b/m4/python.m4@@ -115,9 +115,7 @@
AC_DEFUN([AM_PATH_PYTHON],   dnl   site-packages directory, not the
python standard library   dnl   directory like in previous automake
betas.  This behavior   dnl   is more consistent with lispdir.m4 for
example.-  dnl Query distutils for this directory.  distutils does not
exist in-  dnl Python 1.5, so we fall back to the hardcoded directory
if it-  dnl doesn't work.+  dnl Query distutils for this directory.
AC_CACHE_CHECK([for $am_display_PYTHON script directory],
[am_cv_python_pythondir],     [if test "x$prefix" = xNONE@@ -126,8
+124,7 @@ AC_DEFUN([AM_PATH_PYTHON],      else
am_py_prefix=$prefix      fi-     am_cv_python_pythondir=`$PYTHON -c
"import sys; from distutils import sysconfig;
sys.stdout.write(sysconfig.get_python_lib(0,0,prefix='$am_py_prefix'))"
2>/dev/null ||-     echo
"$PYTHON_PREFIX/lib/python$PYTHON_VERSION/site-packages"`+
am_cv_python_pythondir=`$PYTHON -c "import sys; from distutils import
sysconfig; sys.stdout.write(sysconfig.get_python_lib(0,0,prefix='$am_py_prefix'))"
2>/dev/null`      case $am_cv_python_pythondir in      $am_py_prefix*)
       am__strip_prefix=`echo "$am_py_prefix" | sed 's|.|.|g'`@@
-153,9 +150,7 @@ AC_DEFUN([AM_PATH_PYTHON],    dnl pyexecdir --
directory for installing python extension modules   dnl   (shared
libraries)-  dnl Query distutils for this directory.  distutils does
not exist in-  dnl Python 1.5, so we fall back to the hardcoded
directory if it-  dnl doesn't work.+  dnl Query distutils for this
directory.   AC_CACHE_CHECK([for $am_display_PYTHON extension module
directory],     [am_cv_python_pyexecdir],     [if test "x$exec_prefix"
= xNONE@@ -164,8 +159,7 @@ AC_DEFUN([AM_PATH_PYTHON],      else
am_py_exec_prefix=$exec_prefix      fi-
am_cv_python_pyexecdir=`$PYTHON -c "import sys; from distutils import
sysconfig; sys.stdout.write(sysconfig.get_python_lib(1,0,prefix='$am_py_exec_prefix'))"
2>/dev/null ||-     echo
"$PYTHON_EXEC_PREFIX/lib/python$PYTHON_VERSION/site-packages"`+
am_cv_python_pyexecdir=`$PYTHON -c "import sys; from distutils import
sysconfig; sys.stdout.write(sysconfig.get_python_lib(1,0,prefix='$am_py_exec_prefix'))"
2>/dev/null`      case $am_cv_python_pyexecdir in
$am_py_exec_prefix*)        am__strip_prefix=`echo
"$am_py_exec_prefix" | sed 's|.|.|g'`-- 1.7.5.4
-- 
http://rrt.sc3d.org